Saturday, June 10, 2006


Want to know about the Mavericks? Don't watch ESPN...

Well, here goes. You ask Mark Cuban for help, and he tells you to start a blog. That's why I'm here. I sent him an email to lament the truly sorry and biased TV coverage of the Dallas Mavericks in the Playoffs this year, and he suggested that I start a blog and mention that he told me to do this...so what better name for a blog than "Mark Cuban Told Me To."

Here's the deal:

Most people think that TV coverage of their team is poor, or that the officials only gave their team a bad deal. I felt the same way (with respect to television coverage) while watching the Mavericks beat San Antonio in the playoffs this year. I got so tired of hearing "here's what the Spurs HAVE to do to beat Dallas." And I thought, "Okay, what does Dallas have to do to beat San Antonio, jerkweed?"

So what did I do? I have been keeping score on the media coverage of the Playoffs. Yes, I have always been a Mav fan, from the first game ever (a win over San Antonio), until now--a true MFFL, and 10 year season ticket holder. I remember nights spent listening to hear how many point Abdul Jeelani scored against the Kansas City Kings, and I was there when the Lakers were in town and Mark Landsberger (Lakers) broke his ankle. Despite this, I try to be as objective as I can about the Mavs and the league. But there comes a point when you have to call out these half-ass broadcasters.

SO I made a list...

Here is an example. I made a list of 4 categories to keep score on broadcasts of Mav playoff games. I started this after the San Antonio series, because my ticket partners and I got so sick of hearing Steve Kerr (former San Antonio player) talk up the Spurs. So, I wondered if I am just hearing it through Maverick "headphones," if you know what I mean.

As to my list: the categories were: 1)Positive comments/stats about a team and its players; 2) comments about "what this team has to do to win"; 3) giving the score referencing only one team's name (for example "Dallas leads by 3," or "Phoenix down by 2," etc.); and 4) Negative comments/criticisms of a team and its players. Each team got a point for a reference falling in any category. Some other rules: If the broadcast team commented on a player's stats immediately after he made a shot, grabbed a rebound, missed a free throw, etc., I did not give that team a point, because that would be considered standard play-by-play/color. However, if the network showed a graphic that only dealt with one team or its player(s), then that team got a point in category 1 (I later made a category solely for graphics). Also, if during a timeout there was discussion of a team/player that was positive, that team got a point, and the same if the comment was negative. I also gave each team a point for every comment, etc. during the halftime show.

TNT Sure Loves the Suns...

Now, for an example tally: in the Phoenix series, game 5, I only kept score up through the third quarter. I watched EVERY minute of coverage up until then. This score is only for ONE GAME.

Category 1 Postive references about team/player
Phoenix: 41
Dallas: 16
Category 2 What team has to do to win
Phoenix: 3
Dallas: 3 (that one surprised me, because it was so overwhelmingly against Dallas in the SA series)
Category 3 Score using only one team's name
Phoenix: 7
Dallas: 1
Category 4 Negative comments about a team/player
Phoenix: 1
Dallas: 6

Now, then I took the total of Categories 1, 2 and 3 and added them up, subtracting Category 4. The result: Phoenix 50, Dallas 14

Stephen A. Smith is a Joke

I know it's a crude formula, but the score has been pretty consistent/similar in every playoff game. Now, this morning, I saw Stephen A. Smith on ESPN openly state that "I am sorry, I admit it, I am emotional about this--Erick Dampier was a factor in this game." He was openly "disgusted" (his word) and angry that Miami lost game one. This is a NATIONAL BROADCASTER openly admitting during COVERAGE OF THE NBA FINALS that he is emotionally biased against a team. That is outrageous. It is fundamentally wrong that we have to pay to watch coverage of the playoffs and sports news on cable or satellite and are force fed Dallas-hate and disrespect. As far as ESPN is concerned, the WHOLE STORY OF THE FINALS IS MIAMI--what they are doing, what they are not doing, what they have to do, whether they can win. You watch it and try to disagree with me. You will lose the argument. The only person that is somewhat fair is Greg Anthony. I suspect he would be more fair than he is, but he constantly has to respond to all of the other panelists' comments about poor, sad Miami.

Listen, I am not just some jaded fan. I have a degree in broadcasting and have literally studied television, and I have worked in both television and radio, covering live sports and reporting on sports news (now I am an attorney...insert joke here). It is astounding that a national sports NEWS program would be stacked with analysts that OPENLY ADMIT a bias for/against any team. What kind of coverage is that?

Well, there it is. Now, you go watch ESPN (currently a.k.a. the Miami Heat Network) and see what I am talking about. You see what perspective the story of the Finals is told from. Post a comment and tell me what toothpaste Shaq is using.

This kind of shoddy "journalism" has got to change. What garbage. Mark, I hope you approve.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home